Enhancements

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Congratulations on developing a very useful tool.  I have downloaded and installed the program today.  Installation was no problem.  I have two issues or suggestions in regards to the program. 

First, when I have an attachment such as a PDF it does not show up in the web part page viewer even though it is saved in the document library.  It could be problematic once a large number of files are in a document library to be able to determine which email goes with an attachment.  Are there any plans to address the inclusions of additional attachments and a link to them on the web part page viewer?

Second, I was trying to add a column to the library.  Adding the column was no problem and even though I made it a required column, I am still able to move or copy an email into the library.  Ultimately, I would like to have all project emails in one sharepoint library with a lookup column to associate it with a particular project.  Ultimately, then I could build my page with a filter web part to filter the emails such that our web part page viewer only shows the ones associated with a particular project.  Otherwise you end up with a unlimited number of libraries and webpages.  I tried to edit an item after copying it from outlook to set the lookup column's value but am unable to save the edited version because I get an error that the m2s_body field cannot contain more than 255 characters; most of the time it already does.  Do you have any suggestions on how this could be addressed?

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Hi Schristian -

Thanks for the interest and the suggestions.

Firstly - the web part email viewer should display links to attachments along with the email, just like outlook. I'm not sure why it's not for you - sounds like a bug.

Secondly, I am looking to change the server-side code for the viewer, and instead of storing the email body in a content type field I'm looking to use the outlook API server-side to extract the body at runtime.

I'm actually going to be doing some development on it soon - but this won't include the lookup column I'm afraid. The changes I am making will be across the next few months. If you need something better in the meantime I'd have to do it commercially I'm afraid!

Cheers,
David

On 13 Jan 2012, at 20:15, "schristian" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Congratulations on developing a very useful tool. I have downloaded and installed the program today. Installation was no problem. I have two issues or suggestions in regards to the program.

First, when I have an attachment such as a PDF it does not show up in the web part page viewer even though it is saved in the document library. It could be problematic once a large number of files are in a document library to be able to determine which email goes with an attachment. Are there any plans to address the inclusions of additional attachments and a link to them on the web part page viewer?

Second, I was trying to add a column to the library. Adding the column was no problem and even though I made it a required column, I am still able to move or copy an email into the library. Ultimately, I would like to have all project emails in one sharepoint library with a lookup column to associate it with a particular project. Ultimately, then I could build my page with a filter web part to filter the emails such that our web part page viewer only shows the ones associated with a particular project. Otherwise you end up with a unlimited number of libraries and webpages. I tried to edit an item after copying it from outlook to set the lookup column's value but am unable to save the edited version because I get an error that the m2s_body field cannot contain more than 255 characters; most of the time it already does. Do you have any suggestions on how this could be addressed?